photo 3am_home_1_zpsd47b2810.png photo 3am_MJ_1_zpsdb43188f.png photo 3am_TS_1_zps32b65946.png photo 3am_NL_1_zps4f84c04a.png

My Truth Monday - Path to Teaching


Hi friends! It's Monday so I am linking up with Denise at Sunny Days in Second Grade for her
"My Truth Monday" series......just a bunch of random question to help us get to know each other a little better. I love waiting each week just to see what she will ask! Ask her, she knows I stalk her to see when it's up. :)

So, here we go:

It's funny because usually when I talk to other teachers I hear that being a teacher is something they always wanted.... I've heard "I knew I wanted to be a teacher since I was in kindergarten!" And, of course we all have those kiddos in our classes that we can just tell has all the right stuff to be teachers.

But, it wasn't like that for me at all. I did not want to be a teacher growing up. I wanted to be a lawyer. (I'm really good at arguing ;) I remember as far back as at least 3rd grade that I wanted to grow up to be a lawyer. I lived my life from age 8 to age 25 with that being my main goal. I did all the "right" things, did well in school, participated in mock trials, incessantly watched court shows (hahaha). I was a political science major in college. And, after college attended law school -- right on track. 

But, about 2 years into law school, 9/11 happened. I remember that being a pivotal point in my life. Like many, it caused me to reflect on my life and my family. I finished law school, but stayed at home with my young children for a few months. I needed a break after law school. :) I was mentally drained....go figure.... and it didn't feel joyous. I needed joy.

It only took a few months before I become bored staying at home. I decided to try subbing.....never imagining that I would fall in love with teaching. I just loved working with kids, their innocence, their hopefulness, their excitement for life..... it's what I needed. It made me happy, hopeful, and excited each day!

So, I went back to school (again) and got my teaching license. Each day I fell more and more in love with this profession. It became my way of giving back to our country and it also helped me concentrate on the good that happens every day. I continued on and got my Master's in Reading which is my true passion. Teaching is not only my beloved profession, it is my greatest hobby. How many people in this world get to work in a career that is also their hobby? I feel incredibly lucky! 

It's funny -- I truly believe that God lead to me to teaching. Even though I wanted something else, he knew what I was meant to do -- and lead me there. For that, I am eternally grateful. :)

What about you? What was YOUR path to teaching?

5 comments:

  1. I have wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember. I have in a book that I wrote from 4th grade that says when I grow up I want to either be a teacher or a lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to study foreign languages and/ or music (played the piano and flute). As I began my senior year of high school, I began praying about my career choice. One day my mother, a high school teacher, said to me, "You love children. Have you considered elementary education? You could use your language studies and music abilities as a teacher." I prayed about it and knew that it was God's will for me to be an elementary teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad always wanted me to be a lawyer too...because I'm good at arguing! LOL! :) Thanks for sharing your story! I am from New Jersey originally, and lived in D.C. during 9/11. It hit me terribly hard too. :( I'm so glad that out of tragedy you created such a beautiful story! :) Your students are lucky to have you! :)
    XOXO,
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story is so poignant. I am so glad your heart led you to teaching. It's the best!

    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story is so poignant. I am so glad your heart led you to teaching. It's the best!

    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete