photo 3am_home_1_zpsd47b2810.png photo 3am_MJ_1_zpsdb43188f.png photo 3am_TS_1_zps32b65946.png photo 3am_NL_1_zps4f84c04a.png

Flip Chute for You!

Hi guys! I'm linking up with Tara from 4th Grade Frolics for her




I saw this wonderful little contraption on Pinterest. I'm not always the most craftiest person, but I really fell in love with it and wanted to give it a go. It's called a "Flip Chute" and before I get started I want to let you know I found this idea on the site called Simply Stacie. She really did a nice job showing how to make the "Flip Chute". Thanks Stacie!!

If you are like me you need to know all the hows and whys and troubleshooting ins and outs to making something so I thought I could go a little more in-depth about my own process of making the flip chute.

What is a flip chute?? A flip chute is a wonderful "machine" that literally flips a card of any kind. So, a perfect example of using a flip chute would be to insert a card with a picture - then the flip chute spits out the beginning letter of that picture. In fact, I could think of a million ways to use this contraption! Your card could say "2+2=" and the back of the card would say "4"....it's great for drill practice that gets boring --- a great way to jazz up flashcards with any concept you can think of..... Higher grades could have cards with states on one side and capitals on the other......endless uses! It would even be super fun to make with the kids and they could take them home to use with various drill practice work.

So...............................................................................................................

What Do I Need?

A Minute Maid 59 oz carton (looks like a large milk carton)

scissors or box cutter
cardstock
markers
ruler
clear packing tape
materials to decorate your flip chute (I used zebra-striped duct tape)

What Do I Do?

1. Cut 2 rectangles in the box using scissors or box cutters (I actually think the box cutter is easier). I cut a wide rectangle at the top of the carton between the words "Minute" and Maid". I also cut another rectangle right across where it says 100% juice near the bottom (the exact dimensions are on Stacie's post HERE.



2. Open the carton at the top (like we all used to do with our milk-- you know all the way).



3. Cut 2 strips of card stock (or otherwise heavy duty paper). One should be 6 1/2 inches by 3 inches. The other is 7 1/2 inches by 3 inches...So one of the strips is longer by about 1 inch. The longer strip is going to be the "tongue" of the machine so round off the edges to form a "tongue".


Watch the video below (it's only 7 minutes long) to see exactly what to do to the inside! 




Isn't that cool? I'd love to gather all kinds of uses for this thingamajig! Can you think of other uses?Leave me a comment below on you could use this in the classroom. I know ya'll can think of even more ways than I can.....Having comments below will be really helpful for all of us to come back to as a reference! Have fun!!

1 comment: