photo 3am_home_1_zpsd47b2810.png photo 3am_MJ_1_zpsdb43188f.png photo 3am_TS_1_zps32b65946.png photo 3am_NL_1_zps4f84c04a.png

Kinder Addition

Hi everyone!  I am April from Wolfelicious.  I am so excited and nervous to be doing my first guest blog.  Thank you so much Jeannie for letting me post on your blog.

After thinking and thinking about what would be great to post, I decided to go with addition.  For kindergarten, the Common Core standards say the kiddos have to fluently add within 5.  Whoa, wait a minute, fluently add within five.  My goodness!  At first I thought that was going to be hard, but I have found out that the kindergarteners really think it is so cool to be doing addition and they are excited to practice and practice it.  I would like to share with you some of the things my students have done to help them become fluent with their addition facts within five.

First we completed our basal math series (Math Connects) on addition.  We (K teachers) don't feel the basal book practices addition enough for our students to really become fluent in it.  So, we have to add to the series.  I am sure most schools have to add to their basal books to get in everything they need to teach. 

Next I work on addition by having the students make the problem.
I pick a student to hold the addition sign and I pick another student to hold the equals sign.  Then I call students up to make the problems. This problem is 3 + 1 =
Then the students walk to the other side of the equals sign to get the answer 4.  The problem shows them that a part and a part make a whole. 

Then, I have the students go to different centers working on understanding how to make certain numbers.  The students use a variety of manipulatives to understand how many ways they can equal the same number.  Here are some pictures of some of my students working at their center.
Using beans to make 4.

Using unifix cubes to make 4.
Using pattern blocks to make a shape out of 4 shapes.

 Before we go to these centers, I copy packets for each student of the following pages.  I have a packet for numbers 4 through 10.  The students work at their own pace at the centers so I have some students who are working on 4's while others are at 5's or 6's.  I love that they are able to work at their own pace!  These activities really get the students to understand how to make the addition facts different ways.
Use pattern blocks to make a picture with the number you are working on.  Trace the pattern blocks. Color them.
Unifix cubes.

Beans

Use pattern blocks stamps to create a picture.

Jewels

Magic Math
Doesn't the name just sound so exciting?  Well, you're right!  It is exciting.  I brought out my basket of baby food jars filled with colored water and 2 dice.  I showed the students the jars and told them how it is Magic Math.  I explained how they needed to use the jars.  They needed to shake the jars and then look at the dice.  One dice is one number and the other dice is the other number for the addition problem.  Then they add the two number together and they get their answer.  I made a Magic Math form and the students filled out the form while they worked.


 

 Here are what the jars look like.  Regular baby food jars fill with 2 dice and colored water.  I twisted on the lids and then went around the lid with a hot glue gun so they wouldn't leak.



3+3= 6

The students just love Magic Math.  I have included a Magic Math Freebie page for you so you can try this awesome way to practice addition with your kiddos.  It would even work for multiplication (you would have to change the form).  I hope you have found some new ways to teach your kiddos addition.  I have really enjoyed sharing with you.  Thanks again Jeannie for giving me the opportunity to be a guest blogger. 

Don't forget your freebie. Click the picture below and it will take you to Google Docs to download the freebie.

                                                                     
                                                                        

8 comments:

  1. The colored water with the dice is cute. I think I will have to make something similar (maybe with one number cube and one die) with the little water bottles my own kids drink.
    I see you have the jewel sheet. Don't you just love those. A friend gave me her set and my students were amazed at the ways they could make numbers (like 1+1+4=6).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post April! Composing And decomposing numbers is a difficult skill -- I Adore the dice jars....awesome - super cute and motivating for kiddos to use. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids would love the baby food jar/dice in water!!!! That looked so cool!! Can't wait to try it. Now...to scout for baby food jars!!

    Jenn
    Best Practices 4 Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas, can't wait to try them. I teach in Virginia and we don't do Common Core standards but I am guessing that we will in the future. We are a half day K program, are any of you other K teachers half day? Some of these standards seem pretty challenging to fit in my 3 hrs.! Any input would be appreciated. :0)
    ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very lovely blog.Generally kids hate math but math needs practice,solving continuously sums,never say die attitude and dedication.These things can make you not even good in mathematics but it can make you best in it.And for teachers I want to say that the children have fear that maths is very difficult subject but this fear just resides in their mind.There is only need to teach them in a good manner and they will understand it.Maths requires practice.Practice is the only key of perfection in Mathematics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I am so glad that I found your blog today. What a wonderful post with great ideas. I am now your newest follower. I'm looking forward to getting some more ideas soon.
    Stacy

    simpsonsuperstars

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are the math worksheets from this post available to print? I love them and can't wait to use them with my kiddos. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for the great comments!! Thanks again Jeannie for allowing me to be a guest blogger.

    Lynsie- The Magic Math is available but the other ones are not. Sorry.

    Thanks so much for reading!!!

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete