Doesn't this boy look like he's having a ball reading?? Look at that adorable little microphone!!! This is the Easi-Speak USB Recorder from Learning Resources.
Now, while they did request that I do a review.....that's all I was asked to do: give my completely unbiased, teacherly opinion on this product. Well what teacher doesn't love telling their friends about new teacher stuff?? They agreed to give me one to keep and I get one to give away to a lucky person...... what a great deal?!
So, since I had never heard of this product, I figured there are others who haven't heard of it either........Here it is!
Ok, so here is what I thought about it........
I gotta tell ya I'm no good with tech gadgets like digital cameras, dvd players, basically anything that comes with a cord......
But immediately when I opened the package I noticed that it seemed super-duper simple (which is good because I'm super-duper simple ;0) The package contained the Easi-Speak Microphone and 1 cord. There aren't alot of buttons....so far so good... I might be able to handle this..... The microphone is ultra light-weight and has a lanyard that you can wear as a necklace.
It took me all of 15 seconds to figure out how to work this microphone (yes the teacher who can't operate a simple ditigal camera correctly)..... The "record" button is red and the "play" button is green........It really is THAT simple....And that's is really good when you teach kinder like me.... I have no doubt that my kids will be able to learn to use this gadget pretty quickly!
Something else I like is that if you want to download something you've recorded to your computer - you simply slip off the black tip on the end of the microphone, plug it into the USB on your computer- and BAM! it's downloaded! You CANNOT get much more easy than that!
And NO, NO, NO batteries - just connect to your computer's USB to charge!! Woo-hoo! I don't know how many times one of our cool classroom gadgets didn't work because the batteries were dead -- uuggghhhh (don't act like it never happened to you - we both know it has :0) This thing will never run out of batteries!
Ok....it's a cool new toy -- but what would I do with it at school?
I can think of probably a million and one things to do with this awesome little "toy".
1. Model using fluency and expression during shared reading. After recording, you can play back your reading and discuss.
2. After you've modeled using the microphone to record your reading, you can place this microphone in the big books centers for kids to record their reading of beloved books. How cool for them to "read" a book to the class during share time. Plus, I could see keeping a record of students' reading for documentation or to send to parents.
3. Perhaps your kiddos would like to write a song - and then sing it! I can see their eyes lighting up as I write this!
4. The Easi-Speak is also a great way to record learning.... if you are in the middle of a science experiment - kids can record their findings instead of always writing. This would be particularly motivating for those who struggle with writing.
5. I plan to use this during our calendar time. The "calendar leader" will use and record. Then, during literacy centers, the kids at the listening center will be able to listen to the recording and go through calendar time again.
I can see this motivating the reluctant readers and/or speakers in class!
Now, for the fun part.......Do you want one of these? Could you use it? I'm going to have a SUPER simple giveaway. Here is how to enter my giveaway to get your own Easi-Speak (a $69.99 value):
1. Please follow my blog --> :0)
2. In the comments, write and tell us how you could use the Easi-Speak in your classroom. (please include your email in case you win!)
That's it!! Not too painful and maybe you'll help others get some great ideas and maybe pick up a few ideas for yourself.
The winner will be announced on my FaceBook Fan Page on Thursday. The winner will have 24 hours to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If not, I will announce a new winner.
Good luck I hope you win!!!
I also want to thank Learning Resources for offering this fantastic prize!! I am so excited to use mine in my classroom this year.....that is IF I can pry it out of my 4 year old's hands (he loves it too)...... As teachers, we really appreciate fantastic companies that value us and our opinions!
You may want to follow Learning Resources in the following ways: